Mutual Fund/ETF Replicator
Find a single compound ETF (Exchange Traded Fund) that has related
capability attributes to a Mutual Fund or ETF you’re thinking about
investing in, but with lesser costs and at a lower overall fee.
Find a single or compound ETF (Exchange Traded Fund) that has similar performance attributes to a Mutual Fund or ETF you’re thinking about investing in, but with fewer fees and at a lower overall cost.
Enter an ETF or Mutual Fund along with an investment amount, and the Mutual Fund/ ETF Replicator searches the market to find ETFs whose performance most closely matches that of the ETF or fund you entered, and approves the number of shares to buy in order to accomplish that performance. Analize extensive performance analysis and see the cost difference and percent of connection between original and all replicated contracts.
Using the Tool
- In Mosaic: Use the New Window dropdown and from the Technical Analytics section select Mutual Fund/ETF Replicator.
- In Classic TWS: Use the Analytical Tools menu and from the Technical section select Mutual Fund/ETF Replicator.
In the Mutual Fund/ ETF Access panel, first enter a fund or ETF in the entry field, or click on the Browse Mutual Funds link to find a fund family and a fund. If you would like the tool to return corresponding ETFs with the largest liquidity, check also Consider Liquidity During Search.
The Investment Amount is used to estimate the number of shares of the returned contract needed to create a similar investment to the original entry. For example, an investment amount of 10,000 (the default amount) may purchase 573 shares of the original contract, but only 205 shares of the comparable ETF. If you’re certain on the amount you want to invest, enter it for a more accurate result.
Understanding the Return Results
View the ETF Display
The highest correlated ETF and compound ETF will display on the two panels below the entry field.
When viewing the ETF, find the following data points:
- ETF symbol
- Share Count — Based on the investment amount, this is the number of shares of the Mutual Fund that will be converted to the ETF.
- Investment percentage — A single ETF will display a 100% distribution while the compound ETF panel will show you how the investment amount is allocated to each ETF.
- Full fund name (e.g., !SHARES RUSSEL TOP 200 GROW)
- Fund Size
- Fund Type (e.g., equity)
Analyze the Performance Profiles
Under the ETF panels, see the Performance Analysis table where you can find information regarding the historical comparison of the ETF and Mutual Fund returned to you. The focus of the data highlights the exact percentage you can save in maintenance fees.
The following fields are displayed:
- VALUE — The value of 100 shares of the Mutual Fund and the recommended quantity of the ETF.
- 1YR PERF — The one year performance of both the Mutual Fund and the recommended quantity of the ETF.
- YIELD — The one year dividend yield of both the Mutual Fund and the recommended quantity of the ETF.
- ANNUAL EXPENSE RATIO — The estimated annual expenses for both the Mutual Fund and the ETF.
- FEE DIFF — The estimated management fee difference between the Mutual Fund and the ETF.
- CORRELATION — How closely the daily return of the comparable ETF correlates to the Mutual Fund.
- TRACK ERR — Tracking error is computed by comparing the daily return of the Mutual Fund and ETF over the period of the last year.
- SHARPE RATIO — Measure of excess return (risk premium) per unit of deviation.
Note: The one year performance and correlation values are calculated before expenses.
Compare the Rate of Return
The bottom panel charts the Mutual Fund in opposition to the ETF to graphically display the rate of return after expenses over a one-year period. As you search and mouse over each fund, you can see the rate of percentage broken down to a daily basis.
Tooltips will display a side-by-side comparison of each fund. Mouse over the “D” symbol along the graph to view Cash Dividends and the Ex-Dividend date.